Friday, January 13, 2012

My Craft Corner Evolution

When you live in a small space you have to make the most of every square inch. When you live in that same small space with your husband...you have to share every square inch. Thankfully, my husband doesn't seem to mind that I've claimed a corner of our dining area, including the dining table, as my own. Scraps of fabric, yarn, my sewing machine, my loom, multiple pairs of scissors, and everything else you might need can be found in my corner on any given day. Did I mention I'm somewhat of a fabric and craft supply hoarder? I'm pretty sure I get that from my mom. Her attic was like walking into craft heaven...or a Hobby Lobby.

Behind the piles of fabrics, thread, books, etc, there is one piece in my little corner that means the most to me- my floor loom. I spent most of college sitting behind a floor loom or around a printing table. If I had more space, maybe a garage or studio, I could set up a printing table but I always thought that owning my own loom would be too far out of reach. They can be extremely expensive and being young and a newly wed, I never thought I could justify spending so much on a hobby when there are student loans and rent to pay. I thought it was something I would only dream about. That is, until one very inspiring trip to the Seattle Art Museum. There was a special exhibit of local Native American art and artifacts and in a quite corner, there sat a very simple frame loom with a weaving still in progress. That was the only time I was ever excited to leave an art museum! I couldn't wait to get home to sketch up a plan. With my sketch in hand, Erik and I headed to the home improvement store to stock up on all the supplies we would need to build a simple frame loom. I never could have done this on my own...Erik not only supported me in my crazy creative idea, he actually built it for me. He even sanded and applied a clear coat finish on the wood.

Here are a couple photos of my very first loom:


There was a lot of problem solving when I actually started weaving on it. It was like learning to weave all over again. With the use of dowel rods, household twine, and a ruler, I was able to "Make it work!" (as Tim Gunn would say!)

Here's a close up of a scarf in progress:


Although my homemade, well 'Erik-made', loom will always be my favorite and closest to my heart, there were things I couldn't do on this loom that I would be able to do on a floor loom. I made a handful of beautiful scarves on this one but I was ready for an upgrade. I religiously searched Craigslist and surprisingly found a number of floor looms for sale...but unfortunately, many were way above my little budget.

Right when I thought my upgrade was out of reach, I found this:

 

Erik, again, was pulled into this adventure. Believe me, it was an adventure. I'll try to paint a quick picture of what we went through to pick this monster of a loom up-  the large part of the loom was strapped to the top of our Jeep during rush hour on one of the longest floating bridges in the world while an ambulance trying to pass. I should also mention that it started to rain AND Erik had to pee! It was crazy, but worth it! I made many rag rugs, scarves, even a baby blanket on this extra large loom. It took up so much room though and it still wasn't quite the set up I wanted. To help you relate- its like having a car that drives ok but it isn't that Audi or BMW you've always wanted. At least, that how I tried to make my case with Erik. :)

I held onto this loom for over a year and a half when one day this past November I decided to list it on Craigslist. I thought it would sit there forever but within 48 hours, Erik and I were loading it up to go to its new home. I never thought it would go that fast! I said a quick goodbye but I'll be honest with you, I had already moved on...

And finally, here is the new addition to my craft corner:



I haven't had time to set it up yet so the photos show it folded up. More photos of the loom and new projects to come soon!

This is the Audi of looms for me and its parked right there in my own corner...I don't think I'll need to upgrade for a while.

1 comment:

  1. So jealous of your loom - wish I lived in a craftier area that actually had looms on craigslist. I search constantly but there is usually only one or two every three months or so. And they usually aren't what I'm looking for. Very jealous...

    ReplyDelete