Friday, May 31, 2013

Photo Friday: The Perfect Poppies

So if you assume that because I grew up in Kansas, I'm familiar with the movie The Wizard of Oz...you're wrong. I'm not just familiar with it...I'm pretty sure I could put on a fairly accurate one woman reenactment of the movie. Oh, and if you want to throw in my two sisters, we could absolutely quote the whole movie (songs included!).

Its been a really long time since I've seen the movie. Well, except the time Erik and I looked up 'Wizard of Oz Dark Side of the Moon' on youtube just to check out the urban legend for ourselves...but that doesn't really count, right? No matter how long its been, there are little things that remind me of this classic. Like the time we were out on a walk with Austin and without realizing it (until an older gentleman walking in the opposite direction pointed out), I was wearing my red tennis shoes, my Kansas hoodie, and walking my scruffy dog. Or whenever I hear any cover of Somewhere Over the Rainbow...you know the song I've mentioned a few times that I like?

And then there's poppies...I will never be able to walk by poppies without hearing The Wicked Witch of West..."Poppies...poppies...poppies will put them to sleep..". You know the scene...

No matter what your association with the flower, you can't deny it's beauty- the crepe paper-like petals and the vibrant color. I've never noticed them as much as I have this spring though...maybe I'm under their spell?!







No comments:

Post a Comment